Saturday, January 15, 2011

Missing You!

I can hardly believe that it has been 10 years since Mum passed away.  Sometimes it feels like yesterday and at other times if feels like a lifetime ago.  I am proud that I was able to write and share a eulogy for my mother in law, mother and father.  Some people were amazed that I was able to stand up and speak for all of these people whom I loved so much and whom loved me so well.  My thought was how could I not.

I don't think I have ever posted the words I spoke for my Mum on that day.  In her honor I post them today.



There are many words that have been used to describe my Mum, beautiful, kind, generous, thoughtful, loving, empathetic, fun loving, humorous, strong and faithful.  She was all of these and more.  She was an extraordinary daughter, wife, sister, mother, grandmother, aunt, and friend.  Her strength came from her family, friends and her faith in God.  Her family was her pride and joy.  Her immediate family gave her tremendous happiness especially her precious grandchildren.

 Mum came from a huge Irish Catholic family that was filled with love.  It was her parents and brothers and sisters who helped to mold her into the beautiful woman she became.  It was her nieces and nephews, her first "children" who shaped her into a wonderful Mum.  She loved each of you in a very special way. 

Mum's friends were her treasures.  She had many friends whom she loved and enjoyed but there are two women who were more like sisters than friends-Polleen and Franny.
She cherished her time with you.

We know that life is not easy.  It was Mum's faith in God that helped her through the difficult moments.  She instilled that faith into our family. She brought us to this very church every Sunday from the time we were young.  Faith was not always easy for Mum.  It was tested over and over especially with the loss of her beloved brothers and sister who have gone before her. When Uncle Bobby died Mum was very angry with God, but even so we came to church and kept the faith.  In recent years Mum chose to watch Sunday Mass on television.  Coming here was too emotional for her.  In preparing for today I found Mum's missals dating back to 1950.  Looking through them was like going on a journey through Mum's life of faith. 

I believe that this past year and a half with Mum has been a gift from God.  She fought breast cancer and was more alive than she had been in a long time.  I'm especially grateful for the closeness I've shared with her since the birth of Nina and the death of my mother in law Anita.  Mum was always my friend but in these past months we became best friends.  

We should take solace in the fact that Mum believed with every fiber of her being in God and everlasting life.  She is with all who love her and she will always be alive in our hearts. 
So.....

"Let's not say good-bye, because good-bye sounds too final, as if we were closing the door on all that we've shared, as if we were closing the door on each other.  So let's not say good-bye.  Let's leave a window open in our hearts and in our lives for the someday when the time might be right to say hello again."

Mum, dream of the angels, God bless and I love you with all of my heart and soul.






Peace!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails