Wednesday, November 7, 2012

NaBloPoMo - 5

Talk about the last compliment you received.

I find this prompt very interesting.  Last week I worked in my neighborhood school.  I received several compliments on a lovely scarf I was wearing that day.  It is delicate and bold all in one.  It is crocheted in my favorite colors and could be considered a statement piece.  As I walked to my first assignment that day members of the second grade team were chatting in the hallway.  My scarf was noticed, a compliment was given followed by the question "Did you make that scarf."  Sadly my immediate thought and answer was "Oh, I'm not that talented.  I couldn't possibly have made this scarf."  Well as soon as the words came out of my mouth I wished I could take them back.  A dear friend and teacher in the group looked at me and said that I was most definitely that talented.  It was very kind.  The conversation moved on but it got me to thinking about my perceptions about myself.  I struggle with simply being thankful for a compliment.  I don't know why.  Deep down do I feel unworthy somehow?  or is it that I am embarrassed when given a compliment and it is easier to rebuff vs accepting kind words.  I don't know but I am going to work on being more accepting of myself, my talents and compliments that come my way.  

Peace!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails