Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Well it's nice to have a day off in the middle of the week. It seems to me that this holiday is just a day off to most people. I was so pleased that 'n's teacher had the children reflect on the veteran's in their lives and bring in memorabilia and stories to share with classmates to mark the special day. My children's great grandfather is a Navy veteran. He never spoke of his military career but we do have a couple of pieces of memorabilia that 'n' shared at school on Monday. Growing up I knew that virtually all of my uncles were veterans. I think we had Navy, Marine and Air Force all represented. For many years I kept a small black and white picture of my uncle and his fellow marines in my wallet. It was special to me although I'm not sure why. I've always been curious about the wars our country had endured. I've felt like I had a connection with those solders in the black and white documentaries that are so often run on PBS and the History channel. I am so thankful for the service of our troops now and in the past. I pray for the safe return of all of our men and women serving our country abroad. May God bless them and keep them safe in the palm of his hand.

Peace!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails