Monday, November 21, 2011

NoMoBloPo Prompt

So I was going to write on the following prompt.  I even started as you can see below.


Has anything traumatic ever happened to you? Describe the scenes surrounding a particular event.


I think everyone is touched by trauma to one degree or another throughout their lives.  I have been touched by various types of trauma.  Childhood trauma, adolescent trauma and adult trauma have all made me who I am at this moment in time.  


But then I found myself thinking of the following quote:   


Once you have forgiven, don’t look back. Do not linger on the hurt, do not relive the offense, and do not reconsider the blame. Let it go. That is when you have truly reached a state of forgiveness and opened the door to happiness.~Lessons Learned in Life Thanks  


I don't want to relive the trauma in my life here on this page.  Heavens knows that I relive some of it on a regular basis.  I think I'd rather think about all that is good in my life.  How about 21 things I am thankful for instead of trauma?


Here goes:



  1. My health and the health of my family and friends.
  2. My best friend.... she knows who she is.... she has been with me through my darkest days and I through hers.  She is someone that I could say anything to and never worry that I would be judged.  I am so thankful for her.
  3. My children.  They drive me crazy sometimes but most of the times they ground me and make me smile.  They are my heart walking out there in this world.  
  4. My husband.  The man I have loved for 26 years!  We have been through the good the bad and the ugly and we remain together.  It is the hardest work I know... the work of maintaining a marriage... we are not always good at it but we persist.  I am thankful. 
  5. My home.  It is where I am most happy.  I am a 'homebody'.  My home is not grand or glamorous, but it is warm and welcoming.  
  6. Parents who raised me to the best of their abilities. They did the best with what they had and the examples that they grew up with.  They taught me the most important lessons... to be kind, treat others as you would like to be treated and if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all. 
  7. My sisters.  These are women whom have always had a piece of my heart.  I have longed for the connection we now have and saw glimmers of this connection through the years.  Our ties are complicated but our love is true.  When one door closes another opens.  I am so happy that when the door opened they were there waiting.
  8. My brother.  If you read here at all you may find this odd. But I am thankful for my brother who once was...does that make sense.  The brother that I could call who would come and help.   This is the brother who I long for, who seems to be gone from this world. 
  9. My godmother.  F is the best godmother ever.  She has always been here for me.  I can't believe she is going to be 81!  I can't wait to spend time with her during the holidays this year.
  10. Flicka our new family member.  I never thought I would become so connected to a dog.  I have related to cats for so long that I didn't think a dog and I would work.  Boy was I wrong.  I love Flicka.  She has added a level of joy and excitement to our lives that could not come from any other creature.  
  11. Reconnecting with cousins.  As a child much time was spent with extended family.  As each of the matriarchs of the family passed these connections were stretched very thin, cousins lived their lives and moved on and not much time was spent together.  Over the last year I have had the opportunity to spend time with some of my cousins.  I hope this will continue and that the circle of connection will grow. 
  12. Stories.  Stories of the past that keep memories of loved ones alive. 
  13. Traditions.  Family traditions bring me back to the good memories I have from my childhood.  I want my children to have those good memories too.  They like traditions too.
  14. The ability to recreate myself.  I love to learn new things and try out new ideas.  
  15. Technology.  It is here to stay and while it can be a bit overwhelming at times, technology puts the world at my fingertips.  I love being able to connect with family and friends through FB and email. 
  16. Talent.  I am thankful that I have some talent.  I can bake, sew, fix toys and create art.  Having some talent is helpful and allows for creative outlets. 
  17. My dishwasher.  Silly yes but I remember being the dishwasher especially during holidays.  I much prefer to load and unload the dishwasher.
  18. My washing machine.  Can't imagine washing clothes by hand and hanging them out on the line(in the winter)
  19. My camera.  I love photography.  I don't do too much with my camera during the school year as I do so much documenting in school with my camera but I love taking pictures. 
  20. Quiet.  I appreciate the times when my house is quiet.  I used to always need noise... tv, cd, radio... now I crave the quiet, so when it is quiet I am thankful.
  21. The men and women who sacrifice so that we can share our thoughts openly.  


Ahhh it feels good to be thankful. 



Peace! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails