Saturday, October 20, 2012

So Much to Say

I often find myself taken back to my childhood as I navigate the world of parenting.  n has been reading a biography of Martin Luther King Jr. and working on an extensive biography project including a written element as well as an artistic, visual element.   She was tasked with creating, on a large piece of white drawing paper a desktop that would represent the individual in her biography.  As she worked on her artistic piece I gave suggestions and assisted her when asked. Through this process I was transported to a time when I was in 5th grade.  It was November and we were studying the first Thanksgiving.  We were given the task of drawing a picture that represents Thanksgiving.  I do not remember the specifics of the assignment, but I remember the teacher.  He was  jovial, red faced, rotund and full of himself.  He was tall and wore a beard.  He was also unkind and loud.  Often times in his class I felt sick.    In any event I brought my large manilla drawing paper home and worked on my project.  I must have been stumped as n was stuck on parts of her project.  I remember that my Mum helped me come up with the idea to draw a picture of a cornucopia.
Image found here
 "The cornucopia (in Latin also cornu copiae) or horn of plenty is a symbol of abundance and nourishment, commonly a large horn-shaped container overflowing with produce, flowers, nuts, other edibles, or wealth in some form. Originating in classical antiquity, it has continued as a symbol in Western art, and in North America is particularly associated with the Thanksgiving holiday." wikipedia 

It was an arduous task made more difficult by my tendency to strive for perfection.  I remember working for what seemed like hours at the kitchen table under the dim light to create a near perfect depiction of a cornucopia to bring to school.  In the end I was proud of my final results.  Then my bubble was burst.  When I brought it to school I was told by my teacher that my drawing did not represent the meaning of Thanksgiving.  Perhaps my teacher did not know about the cornucopia or maybe the assignment was a bit different than I understood it and shared it with my parents.  I remember being crestfallen.  Bringing my paper home with the feedback that it was wrong was devastating.  My mother was incensed!  She could not believe the teacher's ignorance but at that time a teacher's word was law, at least for my family so there was no arguing.  

Many years later, as an adult, I created my own cornucopia using dough. It was similar to the image below.

Image found here.
I was thrilled to share this with my Mum.  I filled it with fruits and nuts.  I was so proud of my creation and there was no one who could tell me that it did not represent the season of plenty.

n passed her biography project in on Friday.  I find myself hoping that history does not repeat itself.  Isn't it odd how today's situations can bring back such intense and vivid memories of past experiences.  

Peace!














No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails