Thursday, March 31, 2011

Revisiting my 11 Things

This past December I created a list of 11 things that I no longer want in my life.  I created this list in lieu of devising a set of New Year's resolutions.  After creating the list I decided that I would expand on each item in my own time here at Surfside Serenity.  I have touched on two of the eleven and with the promise of spring I thought I would look at another item on my list.  Third on my list is clutter in my mind and in my home.  I want less clutter.  Over the past months I have been putting in a concerted effort into being more positive in thought and removing the clutter of negativity that can become overwhelming.  I am working towards focussing on the good I see in my environment and in the people who are a part of my life.  It is not always easy and as much as I would like to return to my former polly-annaish, rose colored glasses self I am realizing that perhaps that is not who I need to be at this point in my life.  I have talked in other posts about returning to my old true self.  As I sit and write this post I realize that I must accept the self I am today; foibles and all and look forward.  I can certainly incorporate parts of my younger self, but in forcing myself to go back somehow I deny all that I am now.  Does that make sense?  It is just beginning to make sense for me now, in this moment!  I don't have to go back!  I am who I am today due to who I was yesterday.  I will take all that is good from the past and here in the present and move into tomorrow with all those pieces firmly in hand.  Staying in the moment, breathing deeply and remaining positive whenever possible will help reduce the clutter in my mind and clear a path for moving forward.

Clutter in my home is another subject. Have you watched the Hoarders show?  Every time I watch it I feel a bit better about the minimal clutter in my home.  Even though my clutter is minimal, it is still clutter and screams out to be sorted, organized and reduced!  As the weather gets warmer I think I will be more motivated to go through this home with a fine toothed comb and truly reinvent the spaces in which we live.  Too much stuff just gets in the way of living an organized simple life.  I want to set a better example for my children.  It is an important goal.  I think if I take one room at a time the work will be less overwhelming.  Enlisting the help of the family might make the new look sustainable.  I can't maintain it alone.  We'll see how that goes.  I'll take before and after photos and share when I can.  

So clearing the clutter will remain an ongoing project.  Stay tuned. 

Peace!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails