Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Weekend of Remembering

This past week a friend lost his mother.   She had been ill and they had not always seen eye to eye and had even been estranged in the recent past.  R and I went to the funeral home yesterday thinking we would pay our respects and spend some time with our friend before they went to the cemetery for a graveside service.  I didn't anticipate that the ceremony would begin an hour before the visiting time would end or that it would be so formal.  We only spent a brief amount of time with our friend.  The pain in his eyes was evident.  His wife, my dear friend since high school had concern written all over her face.  It brought me back to the days when we buried my mother in law and my mother within 5 months time.  No matter the state of your relationship when a mother passes it sets a person into a tailspin.  It's like becoming un- tethered from the earth.

Last night I spent some time with another friend who was hosting a fundraiser in her mother's honor.  It has been just about a year since her mother passed away.  It was a lovely time.  Her dad spoke early in the evening.  It was quite emotional for him and his girls.  I found the fact that he could even be there amongst all the memories to be amazingly hopeful for him and his family.  I spent an hour and a half at the event and then headed home to my family.

This has been a bit of an emotional weekend.

Peace!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails