Monday, April 26, 2010

Intervention

Does anyone out there watch the show 'Intervention'? For some reason I am drawn to this show and similar shows. I'm not sure if it makes me feel better because my life isn't as out of control as the lives depicted on the screen or if somehow I recognize myself in the enabling that goes on between family members. Tonight's episode is about a young man who is addicted to gambling. Almost everything he says reminds me of my brother. This young man demands money from his family to fix his financial mistakes. He holds them hostage to the possibility that he will injure himself or do something drastic. He seems to think that the world owes him a living and when things are not going his way it is simply not fair. Broken promises and lies. It is remarkable that grown men feel this way. Certainly he is an addict. I don't look at my brother as an addict but he behaves like one. Can you be addicted to being taken care of by family? addicted to being saved? I wonder.

Peace!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails