Friday, October 29, 2010

Family

Well today I travelled into the city to spend some special time with my God Mother.  I'm not sure if I have talked about her before.  She is a wonderful woman.  She will be 79 on her next birthday.  She was my Mum's best friend since high school.  She was the maid of honor at my parents wedding and is my God Mother.  When she was a young woman she was courted and proposed to but she chose to stay with her Mum, Ella and take care of her as she aged.  When I was a young girl Ella and Franny would make the long trek from the city down to our home a few times a year.  Back in those days Dunkin Donuts did not exist outside the city so it was a special treat when she brought two or three dozen boxes of donuts to the house.   Franny has always been a huge part of my life.  When I was a young girl Ella passed away.  Ever since then Franny has come to my parents home or my home since my Mum passed to spend the winter holidays.  I speak to her less often than I would like and I am going to try to change that.  Once a week would be ideal.   I wish I could convince her to move out of the city.  We spoke about it today as we visited but she is happy to be independent.   Her apartment  is a short drive from the market and a short walk to church.  It is the apartment she shared with her mother so many years ago.  It would be difficult for her to move away from all that she knows but I worry about her now that she is getting older.  Today we went out for lunch.  It was enjoyable to share a meal together and just chat.  It was a great way to begin the weekend.

Peace!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails