Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Poignant Moment

So as you all know I've been spending a good deal of my free time lately taking Dad to various doctors appointments. Virtually every Monday and Friday has been consumed with appointments. I have become quite adept at people watching. It passes the time as we wait for our turn and there is always a wait. Well yesterday we were at Dad's primary care office. We sat down across from an elderly woman and a younger woman presumably her daughter. The office is relatively small and Dad is not much of a conversationalist so as we sat waiting I couldn't help but overhear the conversation taking place across from me. The younger woman was joking that they would have to wait until 'Joe' came back. The mom seemed confused by this and the younger woman went on to say "Remember you are going home today" and Joe is going to take you home. To this the elderly woman said "Thank God I'm going home" Then she turned to her daughter and looked deep into her eyes and said "Oh Judy you have been so good to me" I had to turn away because it was such a tender moment I had tears in my eyes... as I do now. There is something so sweet, perhaps bittersweet about the relationship between an adult child and their aging parent. It is a very difficult road to travel.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails