Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Challenges

This week is flying! It has been an exhausting few days. The week before spring vacation is usually a challenge however this week things have changed for me at my school. I have been moved into a class in the afternoons that has been experiences a lot of turmoil. It is a small group, however several of the children have significant needs requiring one to one supervision. So now we have three teachers in the class and each of us will be helping/shadowing a different child each day. The reactions and behaviors these children exhibit are quite intense and leave all the teachers exhausted by the end of the day. The level of need in this classroom is different than in a typical classroom. We suspect that the children we are helping may very well be on the spectrum. I have been trying to find out more information about Autism and how early childhood educators can help children and families managing life with Autism Spectrum issues. Our goal is to get through the week and then come up with a strategy to get through the last few weeks of school after vacation. The morning group has been very busy as well. This is the first time in a long time that I feel truly drained by work at the end of the day. I will be happy to be off for a week, at least off from school. I have several appointments scheduled for the children and my Dad over vacation. It will be a busy time, but busy in a different way. I just need to get through tomorrow and then VACATION. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails