Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cranberry Pie-----Yuuuummmmmmm

This post is especially for my blogger friends Judy and Mrs. Pom.  I had never thought of or heard of cranberry pie until this past week.  Evidently there is a long standing recipe that several of my coworkers have used.  My teaching partner J was kind enough to share her recipe however I forgot to bring home a copy!  So I searched the web and found the following recipe here.  I am fairly certain that this is not the authentic cranberry growers recipe but it worked for my family.   I alterer my version slightly by eliminating the walnuts and substituting vanilla for almond extract.  I also added an extra layer of cranberries on the bottom of my buttered pie plate and then covered them with another 1/4 c sugar.  My baking time was a bit different too as someone turned the oven off halfway through the baking process.  ( R!!)  So I think I went short on the time and this produced a very moist consistency.  What an easy recipe.  I think the most difficult part of the entire process was picking through the cranberries, oh and pushing myself away from the table to stop myself from eating too much!  At Christmas often times I'll make breads for family and friends.  I think I'll try cooking this recipe in the little bread tins and add it to my repertoire!


Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9 inch pie pan.
Combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in the cranberries and the walnuts, and toss to coat. Stir in the butter, beaten eggs, and almond extract. If you are using frozen cranberries, the mixture will be very thick. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.



We were so excited to dig right in that I neglected to take a photo of the whole pie.  It went very fast...even the young picky eaters enjoyed this unique desert.  

Peace!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails