Monday, January 19, 2009

History

"Now I say to you today my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"

Martin Luther King Jr., Speech at Civil Rights March on Washington, August 28, 1963

Can you imagine what Martin Luther King Jr would be thinking if he were with us today?
On the eve of one of the most historic days I will live through I am full of optimism for our country.
I am relieved that we will no longer be subject to the policies of an administration led by George W. Bush.

I hope that we will all pull together and rally around President Obama as he begins to dig us out of the 8 years of muck and mire that is being left by the Bush administration.

I hope that we do not put our new historic President up so high on a pedestal that he will certainly fall off and disappoint due to unrealistic expectation.

I hope that we will be realistic and patient as we move forward.

I hope that President Obama will instill a sense of urgency in our youth and eliminate the apathy that seems to plague many Americans.

I hope that we will experience the kind of 'Camelot' feelings that were experienced by my parents during John F. Kennedy's presidency.

I pray that the grace of God will be with President Obama and his family as they embark on the most incredible journey of their lives.

This is such an exciting time for our country. I want to relish every moment.

Peace!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails