Thursday, November 8, 2007

Respect

Well the last couple of weeks have been very busy. And honestly I have not felt like taking the time to sit and write a post when so much has been on my mind. As we speak I am in the middle of conferences for my students not to mention going to conferences for my own children. I'm happy to say that my oldest is having a wonderful year in school. I had a wonderful conversation with his teacher. She is so open and respectful. She is truly the type of teacher I wish were in every classroom. One thing she said in the conference that struck me was that children need to feel safe in order to be able to learn. You would think that safety would be a given in a public school classroom. Unfortunately it is not a given. There are some classrooms out there where children are regularly demeaned by teachers and generally treated with disrespect. It amazes me how adults expect children to immediately show them respect yet they do not acknowledge that children need to be respected as well. It is so frustrating. Well at least for this year I know that both of my children are in good classes with teachers who like, enjoy and respect children. They are safe and happy and that is the most important thing that I consider. With these things in place they will learn. My youngest's conference is in the morning. I'm looking forward to hearing what her teacher has to say. I'm sure it will be all good news.

Peace

1 comment:

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I just checked out your blog--and I'll visit when I can. How old are your kids? And yes, feeling safe has to be so important in the classroom. I work at a private K-12 school and we know how fortunate we are compared to some of the others in L.A. But what a shame that everyone can't feel safe. I'm a product of an LA public education and in my little town/suburb, I'll admit that I totally felt safe always.

Related Posts with Thumbnails